4 Ways to Purify Your 401(k) from Haram Earnings

A note to the reader: In my last piece, I shared the importance of a 401(k) retirement account and explored the different ways you can set it up in a halal way. Below, we’re going to focus on some practical ways you can cleanse the gains in your retirement accounts from impermissible investments by way of purification.

This is a companion discussion topic for the original entry at https://blog.zoya.finance/4-ways-to-purify-your-401k-from-haram-earnings/

Practical with some actionable takeaways. Worth your time if you’ve ever wondered about what to do with your employer’s contributions.

1 Like

This is a great article. Thank you for the template. Have been avoiding 401ks but will be advocating for an self directed brokerage account to my employer

2 Likes

So happy you found it beneficial @Ahmer

for others wondering about the template, it’s from this blog post’s sister post. Link to the template below

Thank you for sharing this great article! Knowing that gains fluctuate, is the cash purification on monthy basis or annual?

Glad you found it useful!

Would your gains fluctuate? When I read the blog post, I only read it as actualized gains. As long as the money is still invested in the company, I’ve not made any gains. As for dividends, I think it makes sense to purify those every year. This is not financial advice, just my reading of the blog post.

What do you think?

A post was split to a new topic: Purifying Stocks - What do with fees and taxes

Thank you for the article.
How do I figure out what is the %age of haram earnings, my 401k has, it was invested in Fidelity 500 fund.

Also the breakdown I have for 401k is the contributed amount, the change in value and the dividends so I will just need to purify the change in value and the dividends right?

Thanks

How do I figure out what is the %age of haram earnings, my 401k has, it was invested in Fidelity 500 fund.

The non-compliant percentage can be found in Zoya under the ticker FXAIX.

Also the breakdown I have for 401k is the contributed amount, the change in value and the dividends so I will just need to purify the change in value and the dividends right?

Correct.

I am trying to learn more about stocks so my husband’s investments earn a halal profit. His fidelity account by his company is invested in the Fidelity Target Fund 2055. I have tried to find the ticker symbol for it or even the holdings under it but was not successful. Also, I have only learned what a ticker symbol is this week so please don’t be surprised if my comment sounds a bit noobish. It would be really helpful if someone could help me figure out the non-compliant ratio of this fund. Jzk.

Also, this article is super helpful. Thank you sister and brothers.

1 Like