A New Way to Calculate & Give Zakat with Zoya

At Zoya, we're committed to empowering Muslims around the world to take control of their financial future while staying true to their faith. As the trusted source for over 100,000 Muslim investors worldwide, Zoya is dedicated to making Shariah-compliant investing accessible and stress-free.

This is a companion discussion topic for the original entry at https://blog.zoya.finance/a-new-way-to-calculate-and-give-zakat-on-zoya/

Wow!! This is incredible. Especially love the integrations with all the top platforms. May Allah SWT make this endeavour successful, insha’Allah

1 Like

Assalamu’alaikum warahmatullahi wabarakatuh

Masha Allah Tabarak Allah this is incredible. However is there an option to allow us to input our portfolio manually? Because I’m in the UK and my broker (Freetrade) isn’t available as an integration (and neither are other popular UK brokers like Trading212 etc.)

1 Like

Walaikum Assalaam Khalil,

If you’re looking to load in your own information, you can use the web version of the Zakat Calculator check it out here. It follows the same calculations as the in-app one, but you won’t be able to take advantage of the streamlined donations features. In the meantime, we’re working really hard to increase our coverage of brokerages, and the UK is at the top of the list.

1 Like

Wa alaykum assalaam warahmatullahi wabarakatuh Farhan

BarakAllahu Feeka that’s absolutely amazing. May Allah reward you all at Zoya for your service to the community.

I look forward to the UK additions as well Inshaa Allah.

1 Like

This is awesome.

It’s clean, efficient and easy to use.

The web version allows you to manually upload a csv file with shares from different international exchanges. I noticed that the Johannesburg Stock Exchange (JSE) isn’t supported.

Would it be possible to add support for the JSE ?

Otherwise, wonderful work. Shaved hours off my usual zakah calculations.

2 Likes

Thanks for the feedback brother!

We’re always adding working to increase our coverage and building around insights from Zoyans. To help our team prioritize the next steps of Zoya’s development, I encourage you to begin a discussion about JSE in our product suggestions category.

1 Like

I just tested it and it was a snap
(1) Linked to a Schwab account. Went through with the Plaid auth. Select one account from within it
(2) It synced within seconds and showed account details
(3) Calculated Zakhat was few seconds at best

Very clean interface and snappy. Love it. and the connection to donations as well.

Well thought out! Kudos to the Team Zoya!

Quick questions
(1) is the tool computing Zakhat for passive stock investments using the 30% ruling or actually using current assets * ownership % ?

(2) If i had several accounts (401K, IRA, taxable) - could i link each and the tool would show Zakhat per account and then roll it up?

3 Likes

Thanks for the feedback! Very helpful for our team.

With regard to the questions

1. We calculate the percent ownership of your shares and multiply that by the current assets of the business. ETFs and mutual funds require the recursive application of this calculation to their holdings with a weighted aggregation at the end. Scholars have approved the use of taking 30% of the current market value of a stock or fund as an approximation for current assets, so we do that when the information is not available.

2. Yes, with Zoya Pro, you can connect multiple accounts.

1 Like

Salam
I tried two ETF tickers: VOO and SPY
Both Zakah calcs assumed current assets to be 30% of the current market value.
Is the functionality still limited for ETF’s? VOO is a popular one and I was surprised to see that the recursive application for underlying assets was not used.

1 Like

The service that does recursive calculation of fund holdings was down for maintenance. It should be restored in a few hours.

Hi Saad,

Does the same recursive calculation work for individual stocks from a linked account (vs using 30%?)

thanks
Adib

Yes, we always attempt to apply the current assets based calculation method by default for both stocks and funds and only use the 30% rule as a fallback.

Assalamualakum! I recently got on the app (after hearing about in a Sh. Joe Bradford class) and I love it. I recently loaded a 401K account in order to calculate zakat and it looked like “30% rule” was being used to calculate the zakat liable amount. Could you provide more information on this rule? I couldn’t find much after many searches via sh. google :slight_smile:

JazakAllah!