Good investing reads?

My first read was Stock Market, a beginners guide ā€¦ by Ardi Aaziznia of Bear Bull traders. I enjoyed its broad coverage and a candid inside view. He did endorse a few suggestions as the work of Peter Lynch( Beating the Street) and a couple of others. His colleagues How to Day Trade(Aziz) is also interesting so far esp for a neophyte. Any suggestions for good reads on investing as further reading?

1 Like

So many to name. But, top of my list is Peter Lynchā€™s One Up on Wall Street. The second book is a good one too - Beating the Street.

I like Joel Greenblattā€™s books and then the Little Book Series. - The Little Book of Value Investing

3 Likes

At the risk of shameless self-promotion, you could consider my new book, Halal Wealth. Itā€™s available on Amazon. It is meant for novice investors, though.

6 Likes

Intelligent Investor Summary by Benjamin Graham
Warren Buffet Interpretation of a financial statement.

3 Likes

Congrats on the book ! No small feat.

Can you please tell us briefly some of the topics covered in the book.

2 Likes

Just finished reading it now! Itā€™s just super, very helpful, you really shared so much useful information. Really liked all the links to the variety of Islamic tools and providers, as well as a very succinct review of investment tools. Best investment Iā€™ve made in a while :slight_smile:
Iā€™d say itā€™s required reading for our families. I also appreciated your heart felt approach to keeping it all Halal, the book was a joy to read. Thank you!!

6 Likes

What topics does your book cover

2 Likes

Salaam and thanks. The book covers why to invest, how the stock market works, and how to get started in investing. I also discuss mutual funds and ETFs, and the various choices available. Then it gets into other investment choices not directly tied to the stock market, such as real estate, venture capital, precious metals, and sukuk. Finally, it discusses retirement planning.

2 Likes

Salaam and Jazak Allah Khair! Your feedback really made my day. :blush:

2 Likes

Salaam and thanks for the question. Please see my post above for an overview of the book.

1 Like

Here are the book summaries of 3 of the books I have read. ( I have ready more but have not written summaries for them)

The Little Book of Value Investing - Chris Browne

The Five rules for successful stock investing by Pat Dorsey

The Little Book of Behavioral Investing

List of other books

3 Likes

Thanks so much for sharing Adib!

2 Likes

I started with Psychology of Money by Morgan Housel. I think this is a foundational book on creating the right mental models when it comes to investing.

So it can be said that that this book can be used to further your understanding/knowledge.

5 Likes

Here are a few

Where Are the Customers Yachts?
Author: Fred Schwed
Blurb: Wall Street can be an unforgiving place.

The Money Game
Author: Adam Smith
Blurb: The stocks donā€™t know you own them.

A Random Walk Down Wall Street
Author: Burton Malkiel
Blurb: Donā€™t try to beat the market.

Stocks For the Long Run
Author: Jeremy Siegel
Blurb: Buy and hold.

Winning the Loserā€™s Game
Author: Charles Ellis
Blurb: You win at the game of investing by avoiding mistakes.

Your Money & Your Brain
Author: Jason Zweig
Blurb: Weā€™re not hardwired to be successful investors.

6 Likes

I began with ā€œThe intelligent investorā€ written by Benjamin Graham . Warren Buffett ā€” The Best Book On Investing And What It Can Teach You. When legendary investor Warren Buffett was asked what the best money advice he ever received, he replied referencing ā€œby far the best book on investing ever written,ā€ The Intelligent Investor , written in 1949 by Benjamin Graham.
Despite it was written many time ago it always updates.

4 Likes

The simple path to wealth by J Collins. Just substitute halal etf or mutual funds for VTSAX, and sukuk for bonds.

3 Likes
  • Intelligent Investor is the holy grail for investing but I really like ā€˜Nudgeā€™ by Richard Thaler. Itā€™s a book on behavioural finance and understanding the rationale behind our actions but with really interesting examples.

• for current topics/research/annual reports: McKinsey Insight app publishes insightful reports with easy to understand visuals

3 Likes

While I wouldnā€™t consider it a traditional investing book, another name Iā€™d throw into the mix in addition to some of the other great suggestions here would be Seeking Wisdom: From Darwin to Munger by Peter Bevelin. Itā€™s a fascinating read about behavior and decision making and itā€™s applicable directly in the context of work, investing, and life. One of my personal favorites.

3 Likes

Would you recommend stocking invetsing for dummies?

1 Like

A couple books on tape reading a.k.a. price volume analysis, recommended by my senior:

• Edwin Lefevre - Reminiscences of a Stock Operator, and the biography of Jesse Livermore
  • Steve Cohen - Black Edge, and a revealing interview in Stock Market Wizards by Jack Schwager
2 Likes