Introducing our new Indices baskets

We’re excited to launch our new Indices baskets, offering an easier way to get instant exposure to the shariah compliant stocks of major market indices.

This includes:

• S&P 20: The top 20 shariah compliant stocks from the S&P 500 index, representing the largest US companies by market cap.
  • Nasdaq 20: The top 20 shariah compliant stocks from the Nasdaq 100 index, covering major technology and internet companies.
  • Dow 10: The top 10 shariah compliant stocks from the Dow Jones Industrial Average index, representing the largest US blue chips.
  • Russell 20: The top 20 shariah compliant stocks from the Russell 2000 index, offering broad exposure to US small-cap companies

Our stock baskets feature has become a real crowd favorite, allowing Zoya users to instantly build diversified portfolios around different themes and strategies with just a few taps. We have some exciting updates coming soon to make baskets even more powerful and customizable. Stay tuned!

Check it out :calling:

Indices baskets on Zoya

2 Likes

Salam,

I’d heard of the concept of creating and sharing a basket of stocks, but would like to know more about the logistics.

Some questions about them:

1. Most baskets I see are equal weighted, but some aren’t (Buffet fund is mostly Apple, then there are companies that are only 1%). What is the reason to do one vs the other? Is it for giving better diversification with a limited number of stocks?

2. How often do the index baskets get updated and is it done “passively” i.e. software just picks the top N stocks found in the index at that time that pass the compliance filter?

3. How can rebalancing be done in a way to limit taxes? Does Alpaca have smarts built in to do that in a push button way?

Is there some article or video that can explain how easy or hard it is to deal with tracking a basket in a tax efficient way? Wanting to avoid the hassle of thinking about rebalancing and tax implications is why I haven’t tried baskets yet.

Also does anyone have experience importing tax records from Alpaca to TurboTax?

I read Robinhood is supported but I didn’t see that when going to the “buy” option in the Zoya app, just Alpaca. Has anyone tried both and can recommend one over the other?

Ultimately I think the deciding factor for me to try using baskets, besides ease of use, is if I knew the tax hit of rebalancing is less than the overhead fees of an ETF (otherwise I understood ETFs generally operate in a way that is more tax efficient).