Sukuk Options in the US

Salaams eveyone,

Are there any good sukuk options on the market in the US besides SPSK (which has been performing poorly), AMAPX (which you need to have a lot of money to invest in), and the ones Wahed invests in? I feel like they’re really hard to access here

1 Like

Those are the only two sukuk products that I know of here in the US, unfortunately. However, UK residents may have access to more options.

Regarding AMAPX, you should be able to invest in it through any full-service brokerage like Schwab or Fidelity without any minimum investment requirements.

Thanks for the reply Brother Saad!

I’ve attempted to investing AMAPX through Fidelity before (in a non-retirement brokerage account) and I recall they asked me to have a minimum of $5K, which I found ridiculous lol! :joy:

I suppose can try again and see if that has changed

Yeah I wish I had a good sense of why the sukuk funds behave the way they do in pricing. They’re benchmarked against emerging market bonds and they are moving roughly in line with that market.

I don’t like seeing that gradual decline and not having any intuition into what’s going on. Last time that happened sharply but rebounded sharply with the initial Covid market panic.

Not sure about that 5k minimum in Fidelity.

1 Like

You can also look into Azzad’s WISEX. It’s a combo fund - Income + Capital Preservation. You should be able to bypass the account minimum by purchasing it as an ETF through your online brokerage.

3 Likes

I theorize it’s due to insufficient trade volume. When there are not a lot of investors buying and selling the asset, any one investor making a large sell order perhaps influences the price.

1 Like

Trading frequency is another thing. Definitely for the thinly traded ETFs when you place an order, even if it is small, you will see that sale price reflected in the history. I was referring to the longer term trends, like why is AMAPX down since inception, or why it went down so much since 2021, or why it went up from 2018 till 2021 minus the big downward spike around the 2020 Covid market panic.

At this point I have minimal holdings in Sukuk because of lack of info and understanding of what to expect. I know there are white papers etc but they don’t explain those longer term price movements.

For the limited yields I prefer less volatility. UIF recently started a CD-like option that I was told yields a little over 4%, so I’m thinking to look into that as an alternative for non retirement spare cash: Islamic Time Deposit Accounts | Islamic Financing Solutions | UIF Corporation

Hello Malak,
I am curious is the interest in Sukuk to do with capital preservation, income generation or some other else?

thanks
Adib